Thursday, May 20, 2010

May 13. Sampling the Local Cuisine

Back to work today where I met with Bernice Sam, the National Programme Coordinator of WiLDAF Ghana. She gave me an interesting project writing a speech on recent successes and current challenges in the field of women’s rights in Ghana. It will be delivered by the Speaker of Parliament at an upcoming conference in July.

I tried banku with fish for lunch today. Banku is a fermented corn or cassava dough that’s cooked in hot water into a smooth whitish paste. It’s generally served with a spicy soup and often fish. I found the meal quite tasty overall, but the banku itself was rather bland. I was also given about a grapefruit size portion of it, but I could only manage to eat less than a quarter of that as it’s quite dense and starchy. Next time I’ll tell them to give me an ‘obruni’-sized portion.

1 comment: