Thursday, May 13, 2010

May 10. Down the River Volta


This was supposed to be my first day of work with WiLDAF Ghana, but unfortunately most of the office was away on a training retreat, so I was asked to come in for a meeting on Wednesday instead. With my schedule thus cleared for the day, I tagged along with Keith and his friend on a drive out to Ada Foah, where the Volta river meets the sea. We took a beautiful boat ride along the Volta river to the mouth of the sea, and then visited nearby Rum Island. Unfortunately, (or not, depending on your perspective) the chief was not around and so we could not sample some of the island’s (in)famous home-brewed rum. We did get to knaw on some fresh sugarcane, which was deliciously sweet.



The area looked more like the South Pacific than the West Africa I had envisioned before coming here. Beautiful palm trees and golden sand.

No comments:

Post a Comment