Monday, May 17, 2010

May 12. Work Begins

My first day of work at WiLDAF, which also happens to be my 28th birthday. Having scoped out the building the previous day I was able to find my way to work without any problems. I met first with Patricia, my immediate supervisor in the Information Management sector of WiLDAF, and then was introduced around the office. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming. I spent my work day doing background research on a speech I will be writing for the Speaker of Parliament, which she will deliver at an upcoming meeting of the Women Speakers of Parliament.

Back home via tro-tro, overcrowded and generally fairly dilapidated minivans that are the favoured means of public transit. To get to and from work I take one tro-tro halfway, then get off at Danquah Circle (a large roundabout) and catch another for the last leg. Each ride costs 20 pesewas, or around 15 Caanadian cents.

In the evening Kathy, Keith, Megan, and Ella surprised me with a nice card and a delicious cake. The cake was accompanied by an extended round of “Happy Birthday” – a song which has 4 verses here, one of which is sung by the person celebrating the birthday, and is then topped off with three cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment