Wednesday, May 12, 2010

May 7. Arrival in Africa

Touch down in Accra! When I get off the plane onto the tarmac I am immediately struck by the heat and humidity, even though it is 7:30 pm and the sun has been down for an hour.

Retrieving my bags at the carousel was a bit of an effort, as everybody crowded as close as possible to the baggage track. I actually saw one of my bags go by but had no room to step forward and pick it up, and had to wait until it came around again and I’d wormed my way closer to the front.

My (sort of) cousin Kathy and her two girls Megan and Ella were waiting to pick me up at the airport and drove me back to their beautiful place in the North Ridge part of Accra. Once there I had a quick visit and doled out some treats brought from Canada, and then quickly hit the sack. Fortunately, I was able to sleep solidly through the night from about 9:00pm to 6:00am.

No comments:

Post a Comment